Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Favorite Geezers

I'm not immune to the power of rock stars idolized in my youth. The best part of Carbon/Silicon (Mick Jones' new band) was how happy he was playing in front of the crowd. When he did the Clash guitar walk the happiness was infectious. Fan girl confesses that at one point when he looked straight at her for a few seconds too long she felt dizzy and nearly keeled over. I think he was hypnotically drawn to my beaming grin. Mick Jones people! He looked at me! (thud).

...and then there was Jad Fair. At one point Atsushi asked me, "Which one is Jad Fair?" and I responded "He isn't on stage yet. He wears big black glasses." Which left me feeling like an idiot when I realized that he was the old guy with gray hair. Some Half Japanese expert! Can you back me up on how obsessed I was with this band? Like Clark Kent with lasik surgery -- secret revealed when he starts to sing "I Know How It Feels...Bad."


Which brings me to My Dad Is Dead. I slipped around the corner because I couldn't believe that they were scheduled to perform. The nose was the most recognizable. I stood with a smattering of other Homestead Records fanatics -- suspicious sideways glances all around. Songs from "The Taller You Are The Shorter You Get" but everything else is different. I am stubborn in denial. I deny you passage of time.

1 comment:

Rock Mama said...

I'm backing her up on the Half Japanese devotion. It's very true. Had it not been for the Haus Frau, I'm sure I'd have never heard the wonderful HJ music. Thank you for your obsession!