Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A fuzzy memory

The fact that I attended the first SXSW Music Festival in 1987 is a closely guarded secret -- sure it dates me, but also I don't mention it because I can't quite remember if it's true. I have the T-shirt in a box somewhere in the garage but I can't be bothered to dig it up. Was it 1987? Was that the year we drove down from Madison listening to the cassette (supplied proudly by the Librarian) of the Partridge Family singing "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque"? Or was that the following year? Was that the year the Buck Pets played and Kim Bitter scared the bartender at the UT lounge? And why is that the only show I remember seeing? Actually, mostly it's not even the music but following the Buck Pets with their giant hair down the hallway and giggling. There was also something about an overcrowded Bob Mould show and Gibby from the Butthole Surfers sitting at the bar, but I believe that was SXSW #2 or 3? in 1990 or 91 -- because that year I brought the Chef along and Kim Bitter met up with us in Austin. I recall being jammed into a very tiny bar watching another great show from The Texas Instruments. Also, instead of another music showcase, The Chef made us go see an art movie (gasp) that was "Killer of Sheep" which was finally restored and released last year. The Chef always knew what was going on way ahead of time. Plus, he just reminded me that we saw Uncle Tupelo in the Waterloo Record Store parking lot. (I recall that particular year all the music showcases were WAY more crowded, and I promptly returned home to tell everyone that it was not worth the bother to attend. This year in Austin, Joe reminded me that I told him that.)

Anyway, I'm certain the Librarian and Kim Bitter have better memories than indie rock granny and can set me straight and make additions on all of the above. Glass Eye, The Reivers, The True Believers -- Doctor's Mob? I think that was a whole other story. Lend me your smarts.

The last SXSW I attended (which I believe was #4?) was in 1998 -- don't fall over but that could also be described as "ten years ago" and my oh my the clock ticking gets loud. I met up with Rock Mama that year, before she was a MAMA! (wow). Highlights include backyard bbq parties in the suburbs with Old 97 fan club members and trying to see variations of the Mekons/Sally Timms/Waco Brothers twenty times. Neko Case blowing my socks off. Freakwater! Accidentally coming across the best Alejandro Escovedo performance I've ever seen (and oddly, standing in line for the bathroom w/ Glenn from Doctor's Mob snicker snicker) and shortly afterward eating the best taco ever from an taco truck on the outskirts of town. Rock Mama feel free to chime in, I know I'm missing other good bits. Wanda Jackson signed my CD at the record store! That was a very happy twang year.

That brings us to a few weeks ago -- SXSW #5? I came prepared and focused to see as much music as humanly possible in three days -- and despite that, I still feel like I missed out. Indie Rock Granny is never happy unless she hears and sees everything and that never happens. Dammit! Just for the future blurry memory record, this year I managed to see Deer Tick, Jeffrey Lewis & the Jitters, Mahjong (thumbs down), Kaki King, Frightened Rabbit, Bon Iver (from Eau Claire!), Kelley Stoltz, The Dodos, Tim Fite, (insert a whole Social Registry showcase that is a blur involving Joe and two members of the Upright Citizens Brigade and yelling "Traitors!" as they waltzed off to the Playboy "Rock the Rabbit" Party - note: indie rock granny is proud that she has strong opinons about dumb ass events that market themselves via sexy ladies with big tits. As I said to the third person who invited me "wow, playmates. That sounds super-fun. not!"), Raveonettes, Jens Lekman, Carbon/Silicon (Mick Jones!), Portastatic, Half Japanese, Chet, Little Teeth, Evangelista, Citay, My Dad is Dead and (away from the swirling mosh pit -- either No Age or F*cked Up?) More importantly J. Mascis was there.

A SXSW shout out to all the adventure seeking co-conspirators over the years -- the sweet librarian, Kim Bitter, the Chef, Rock Mama and adding to the list this year the wonderful DJ Big Cookie, her "awesome" pal Mark, my old friend Joe the hipster indie label mogul and the good-natured Scrabbel posse.

I am going next year and hope you all will join me.

4 comments:

oshareneko said...

I will gladly accompany you on any musical adventures ANYTIME!

Rock Mama said...

My SXSW '98 memories of our musical adventures are pretty similar to yours, Hau Frau. I think that my highlight was when we decided "Let's stop here for tacos." and finding Mr. Escovedo playing in the yard behind the restaurant. My wait in the bathroom line included a sock on the arm from Rob from Bloodsot records. The thing I wish you could've shared with me that year happened right before you picked me up from the backyard bbq party. A duo called The Handsome Family did a short set and made me a fan on the spot. After they played I happened to see Rennie at the food table and started to get all fan-girl with her, telling her how much I liked their songs. She interrupted me over the potato salad and said, "I'm sorry, I can't talk now. I'm really drunk."

Honestly, getting to be at the big music fest with you was the huge highlight.

Kim Bitter said...

Oh, let's see . . . '87 was the first SXSW and there was a Partridge Family tape involved! Here's what I recall:
Joplin, MO & creepy men in iHop.
Seeing Doctor's Mob personnel in the pizza place--I think he was arguing with his girlfriend.
Threadgill's and a little midwesterner confusion over side dishes--Did we see Dave Woody there?
Someone smuggled gin into the UT lounge because it was dry for the all-ages show or maybe because the Buck Pets were only 12.
A new and useful exclamation--"I feel ishy"--see gin above.
Joe Ely was playing at Waterloo Records when we visited.
We did see a show on the first night, but it was the Austin Music Awards and it wasn't until I looked at the show list (yep, still have it) that I remembered Ronnie Lane played. That same night Will (Sexton) and the Kill, Zeitgeist, Asleep at the Wheel, and Eric Johnson were on the bill. I don't think we stayed . . .
Stacey & Laura from Rabid Cat sightings.
Did we go up the roof of our hotel to take pictures?

One of the opening panels was titled, "The Timbuk 3 Story: How a Local Act Makes it Nationally" hee hee

The second time is really fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it was'91. I remember going to see Killer of Sheep and maybe the chef bought a Karen Finley book?

HausFrau said...

ha! now it all comes back.. I forgot all about Rabid Cat and the cool Ronnie Lane show (but had a vague memory of the Austin Music Awards) was Lucinda Williams there?

...and what ever happened to those Old 97 fan club girls? They were great and also idolized Rock Mama. We got to see their bedrooms with pictures all over the walls.