Friday, March 21, 2008

Assorted SXSW Highlights

Deer Tick at the Brooklyn Vegan Showcase.


Fantastically funny AND educational with a whole song devoted to the Russian Revolution complete with hand drawn pictures! They call this sort of thing anti-folk.

Blurry picture of Eau Claire's Bon Iver (aka Justin Vernon). I had to sneak away from the iPhones peoples to take this picture (checking e-mail at a concert is stupid so cut it out.) Writers like to go on about how Justin made this album when he was living in an "isolated cabin" in the Northwoods of Wisconsin and ate venison to survive the frozen winters. Very ex-ot-ique, noh?

Have I gone on about how much I love Kelley Stoltz? As someone I befriended at this concert said to me "This is how music is supposed to make you feel!"

Another highlight -- a free show from The Dodos. Why is that whenever I travel miles away I always end up seeing another band from San Francisco that turns out to be my favorite...and how do they get that giant marimba around town?

This is a Dodo's tamberine footwear innovation. (I want one).

It was hot, but there was (non-diary) ice cream! DJ Big Cookie picked the best one.

Little Teeth come with pots and pans (and accordions).

We took a pedi-cab to the 3am punk rock show on the Lamar Street Bridge. "Awesome!"

If you didn't believe me earlier, J. Mascis was there.
*gray hair represents!*

It was crowded and we decided to steer clear of the swirling mosh pit. Then we got sleepee and went home. It was 4am after all and beds are comfortable.

No comments: