Sunday, August 19, 2007

Max Roach

Thanks to Lutinna Iam, I once shook the hand of a legend. His name was Max Roach. I could feel the magic gravity of history in his handshake. Then I watched while Max Roach smiled and patiently autographed a giant stack of his vinyl recordings, at the fanboy request of Lutinna Iam (who was more nervous and starstruck than I had ever seen him!). In those brief moments, Max Roach was gracious and kind -- a real "cool cat".

When people ask me if I have ever met anyone famous -- I say, well, once I shook the hand of Max Roach (and another time I gave Michael Gerald from Killdozer a ride home in my Chevy station wagon - the brown one with the fake wood paneling).

A salute to a musical legend who shook things up and made it sound good.

2 comments:

Rock Mama said...

Wow. I'm so glad that you got to shake the hand that shook the world.

Anonymous said...

And didn't you talk with Kate Millett once?