Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Monk and Cake

This week was interrupted with a few bright moments of live music.

As you know, it takes a lot to tempt the Chef & I off the couch midweek because of our great passion for kittens, Tivo and sofa sitting. No one but the lovely Ms Stella Sturm could have convinced us to give up our lazy mid-week fun. A rare treat to visit w/ Ms. Sturm! We immediately agreed to join her on Wednesday evening to attend a performance by Meredith Monk. I was a little worried about the concert as it was part of the Jewish Community Center's "Art & Healing Program" which set off a lot of alarms in my head. I admit that I'm sceptical when music is referred to as "art" and then throw in "healing"... (even though I believe with all my music-obsessed self that music serves as both art and a magical form that gives much comfort) whenever things are treated so seriously, well, I don't like it. I would rather use lofty terms like "cool stuff" and "this rocks" and "wow!"

Even more off-putting, there was a section of the concert where Meredith Monk was going to perform music composed for UK hospice patients. As I like to avoid sadness of all kinds I was concerned that with buying a ticket and entering a place where hospice themed music would be performed that I would become incredibly sad. Perhaps weepy. This kind of thing would instinctively be on my list to avoid, but it was a rare opportunity to get together with Ms. Sturm, who is a HUGE Meredith Monk fan, and (with rare exception) usually anything that Ms. Sturm loves, well, I know there is a damn' good reason behind it. That's how we ended up leaving the sofa and kittens mid-week to attend this "Art & Healing" program.

Of course (see above: Ms. Sturm knows her stuff) it was a fantastic, inspiring and JOYFUL evening. Now the Chef & I join Ms. Sturm as full-time members of the MM fan club -- because well, "wow!" and what a disarming, kind, unique and silly 21st Century composer who has no pretensions yet is amazingly talented, and again, I'll just say, um, that I'm so glad I ignored my list of suspicions and the warning bells. Instead of making me feel gloomy about death, it made me happy about life -- especially the two pieces written for hospice patients (called "Impermanence") -- the one about the old lady on the phone talking about all her stuff filled me with belly laughs. There was also another dazzling duet of bird-like noises and gestures that made my mouth hang open. You know how the word awesome is overused? Well, it was awesome. I was IN awe.

A tip of the hat to Stella Sturm -- we knew it would great to spend time with her, but now we thank her for convincing us to witness the magic of Meredith Monk.

If that wasn't enough Art & Healing - the Chef surprised me with tickets to The Sea & Cake. I was introduced to a few of the members ages ago (at a time before Club de Wash burned down when they were still in Shrimpboat) as "This is one of your BIGGEST FANS!" This is not a good way to be introduced to a band. They always look at you as if you are crazy and then politely smile, hoping you'll wander away soon .

Anyway, it sure was good to see some old people play their soothing comfort sounds. Sam Prekop looks and sounds good as an aging indie rock star, and their music is as if someone plugs some kind of peaceful happy murmuring feeling directly into my ears. Ahhhhhhh. The Sea & Cake.
This time we snuck out before anyone could pull me over and reveal that I was * STILL* one of their biggest fans - obviously stalking them *STILL* after all these years. Don't mention the whole plugging the happy into my head description to them, because then they will know that I'm also *STILL* crazy and hope that I wander away.