Friday, December 29, 2006

Santa Clara Creche


When we were at the Grand Canyon we went to an overpriced tourist gift shop to browse Native American crafts. It was there that I spotted this Santa Clara Pueblo pottery creche and decided that I had to have it. I have never owned a creche before, but my mother collects them when she travels and puts them all out on display during the holidays. I have always been impressed that she is able to find unique creches from all over the world (Africa, Peru, China, etc.) as I have never seen any souvenir Creche Marts. But here was this creche, and I was traveling, and I was not with my family for the holidays and I really missed them. So I went bonkers and I bought this creche. When I got home I looked up the artists and discovered that they are a husband & wife team named Dorothy and Paul Guterriez and they are known for their animal figures that are "made to put a smile on your face and to remind you not to take life so seriously all the time." Now I can put this creche out during the holidays and remember throwing snowballs at the Grand Canyon and follow in my mother's tradition all at the same time. Totally worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really cool.