Monday, December 11, 2006

Merry Muppets

This may reveal my melancholy tendencies, but my favorite Christmas song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." It perfectly acknowledges the real things in life, like the golden value of friends and family and the preciousness of time without wasting it singing about babies in mangers. It's a song that makes me sentimental, teary and happy all at the same time in a seasonal sad little might-as-well-enjoy-the-fleeting-bright-spots sort of a way.


To this day, my favorite (and the most sincere!) version of this song is the duet between Rowlfe the Dog and 70's (future suicidal) superstar John Denver. To me, real emotion is best expressed through the use of piano playing puppets. That's probably why they use them so much for therapy. Trust no one but puppets to express your emotions!
When I was growing up, this John Denver & the Muppets lp was pulled out and played over and over and over again during the holidays and I still never get tired of listening to it. A few years ago it was reissued on CD and my sister bought a copy for everyone in my family. I like to image that when I'm listening to Miss Piggy leading all the muppet characters in a round of "Christmas Is Coming" that others in my family are all singing along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus god, I had that album too! I never knew you also were listening to it. I think I'll have to get the cd... for the kids, of course.

Rock Mama said...

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is my favorite Christmas song, too. It makes me weep.