Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Hollaback @ the Post Office

I was in line at the post office mailing packages (darn you X-mas!) when an older-than-me postal worker plugged in her iPod to the speakers in the corner. All of a sudden I heard, "Uh huh, this my shit/All the girls stomp your feet like this."

Did she just say shit? In the post office? Did an older-than-me postal worker just hook up the post office to the unedited dance remix of "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani?

Maybe it was a different word, that just sounded like shit.

As I was puzzling and trying to make sense of this odd post office soundtrack, again I heard "Oooh, this my Shit , this my Shit, Oooh, this my Shit , this my Shit, Oooh, this my Shit , this my Shit, Oooh, this my Shit , this my Shit, I heard that you were talking shit and you didn't think that I would hear it."

Okay, she is definitely saying shit. Gwen is singing about her shit, IN THE POST OFFICE with old ladies and moms with kids in line mailing their holiday presents, and did they play this version on the radio? Am I THAT out of it? Does everyone now just accept the broader usage of the word shit even in public buildings like the post office?

I looked around wide-eyed at everyone, but no one seemed to notice. Only the older-than-me postal worker was squinting at me, daring me to complain and make her take off the highly inappropriate Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" remix. Of course I just giggled to myself and continued to listen, even though I did think it was highly inappropriate. I don't even mind the song, but you sure couldn't play this version on the radio.

"Oooh, this my Shit , this my Shit
Let me hear you say, this shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
this shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
Again, this shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
This shit is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S
A few times I've been around that track
So it's not just gonna happen like that
Cause I ain't no hollaback girl
I ain't no hollaback girl
[2x]
Oooh, this my Shit , this my Shit [4x]

At the POST OFFICE!

No comments: