Saturday, February 02, 2008

Vampire Weekend

Favorite indie band of the week. Vampire Weekend. Despite their super goth name, they are a bunch of harmless kids from Brooklyn who mix up indie with Afro-pop. Dig that Cape Cod kwassa kwassa sound.


On Friday night Vampire Weekend played at Amoeba Records. I dragged the Chef there. He looked around at the rest of the crowd and asked me, "Are they going to play some sort of geek rock?" I must agree, the crowd was suspiciously nerd infested. I assured him that it would turn out okay and that he would enjoy the music.

After the very short set from Vampire Weekend, we walked to Lime Tree for dinner. The Chef said that it was only four blocks away. After the eighth block I asked, "Is it on the next block?" and the Chef replied, " I think it's just up there." and then "It's on the next block" and then, "If it's not on the next block it's on the one just after" and then "I'm sure it's right up there!" Hausfrau had several immediate bodily needs -- she had to go to the bathroom, was carrying a very heavy lap top and was in desperate need of a beer. She harumphed, "That next block thing was funny five blocks ago. "

However, when we got to Lime Tree -- Haus Frau cheered up. Even though they didn't serve beer (goddammit!) just funny coconut waters and soda pops. Lime Tree was a secret oasis of steaming hot roti pratha (that I wanted to eat all night) and delicious Singapore chicken noodles. Did I mention corn fritters? YUM! Lucky thing for the Chef, as I would have been super grumpy if it sucked. But no way -- dinner at Lime Tree was delicious, my new favorite odd basement Malaysian restaurant next to UCSF that is probably about ten blocks from Amoeba Records. I would stomp there again. I mean Haus Frau would -- maybe -- for more roti pratha please.

4 comments:

Trott said...

Wait! When did Lime Tree get good? They were kind of meh when I worked near there. Have they improved a lot in the last year or something?

HausFrau said...

The Chef advised me on what to order and did not steer me wrong!

Anonymous said...

Was that "goddammit" for Kim Bitter? Hee!

HausFrau said...

ha! you just brought me right back to the student union in Austin like a way back machine. Buck Pets. goddammit! ; )