Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Redonk #1 #2 #3

I survived my trip to L.A. -- and even though I may get drunk and curse at next year's show, I will never think of this tired horse of an industry event with the same disdain. I credit a bunch of talented musicians who won a contest, one amazing stage manager and a VIP backstage all access pass (!). It just got stranger and more hysterical each day I was there.

Redonk #1:

Did I tell you the story where I was trying to find the orchestra rehearsal and I asked some dudes to point me to Stage 11? They pointed across the street. When I told them I was with (insert the place) they said, "the place?! We're JOURNEY!" (note that Journey just found their new lead singer by looking at videos on, you got it, the place.) When I stopped by the next day, who was hanging out watching them rehearse? That's right -- (redonk #2) the Backstreet Boys! How could I not take a picture of A.J. hanging out with Journey. That guy on the right also stopped by to gush and Neil told me (ha!) he was an amazing guitarist. Anyone recognize him?

I also had the opportunity to meet Arnell. He is Journey's new lead singer who arrived from the Philippines. Naturally, he sounds exactly like Steve Perry. He also combs his hair obsessively with one of those big plastic combs that you probably had sticking out of the back pocket of your jeans in middle school. Were those the same years you listened to Journey? Arnell is historically accurate.

Redonk #3:

When I finally made it to the correct rehearsal stage, my group was long gone. I squinted at who was in there now, also with a full orchestra. It was Herbie Hancock and Lang Lang at dual pianos rehearsing "Rhapsody in Blue" so I pretended I was supposed to be there. Eventually, I asked a guy the whereabouts of the other orchestra, but he just shook his head and said, "Bocelli is showing up here later." At this point, the English language was starting to sound like "mwah mwah mwah mwah" so I ran to my car and locked the doors.

6 comments:

oshareneko said...

omg omg omg! This is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

while i don't recognize the guy on the right, i am so impressed you go to go. you should be impressed at how you wrote that. i think you need a new career. did you meet up with cameo there? did you see i'm coming to s.f.? i know, you might have to stoop low to hang out with little people like me. i would still hope i get to see you, erik and the kitties!

lauren

HausFrau said...

little people! that's the only area where I fall into the petite department. :) See you in SF (but I'm not going to the reunion unless Max is there..hee.)

Kim Bitter said...

I believe that's Doyle Bramhall II--no, I am not making that up! Please see:
www.doylebramhall2nd.com

I want to hear more . . . can I look forward to installments #4, #5, and beyond?

HausFrau said...

interesting...he was playing L.A. with Peter Case (!) on 2/8... wow, how did you guess that?

Kim Bitter said...

Timing. I had just seen him in a documentary (Before the Music Dies, I think), so it was fresh in my mind.