Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Whinging

Over the weekend I accused the Chef of mispelling "whining" as "whinging".

Of course he said, "No, I meant whinging, not whining."

When I gave him a funny look, he proved it to me:

FYI:"whinging" from general English dictionary and thesaurus provided bythefreedictionary.comwhinge (hwnj, wnj)intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es

Chiefly BritishTo complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.[Dialectal alteration of Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian.]

URL: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whinging
whingeverb {I} whingeing or whinging
UK INFORMAL DISAPPROVINGto complain, especially about something which does not seem important:- Oh stop whinging, for heaven's sake!- She's always whingeing (on) about something.whingenoun {C usually singular}
UK INFORMAL DISAPPROVING- We were just having a whinge about our boss - nothing new.whingernoun {C}
UK INFORMAL DISAPPROVINGa person who complains continually

I think perhaps the Chef grew up in a small town in England or that he's a secret Harry Potter fan. Muggle alert!

1 comment:

Rock Mama said...

He's very smart...AND he cooks!