Saturday, July 07, 2007

Upswing

I talked to Dr. Sally this morning and she reported that she is (finally) on the upswing after a lengthy horribleness involving post-surgery complications. The first thing she said was, "I didn't want to tell you because we had so much fun in San Francisco!" I completely understand this rationale, but I assured her that her slow recovery story does not tarnish the fun we had with her family in April. Never! The lesson she has learned is that the longer you refrain from telling people your depressing news, the longer the story gets each time you have to finally spill it. She sounded well enough to laugh about that, which is very good indeed.

Today is a better day and tonight is Girl Geek (and the Chef) Meeting #3 -- we are going to watch the Roky Erickson documentary "You're Gonna Miss Me" unless Polyvinyl Chloride makes us watch the Slade movie (eek!). I'm also planning to force upon them the recent live performance from Robyn Hitchcock on the Henry Rollins show. It's even better online w/the interview where he testifies that old indie rockers chugging away are no longer thought of as "a pervert squad".

I think I have finally recovered from the mid-week hot dog excitement -- although you can understand why the pictures below ruined me for the rest of the work week.
The Chef grilling in our backyard jungle!

There is a woman who works at the grocery store in our neighborhood who brought in this corn from her family farm --- it was almost as good as the summertime corn we get in Wisconsin.

The Chef wouldn't be the Chef if he hadn't concocted a special red, white & blue cocktail for the occasion -- taken from the "Strawberry Tapioca Soda" recipe that was recently in the NYTimes.

Although, um, next time we'll skip the crunchy Tapioca hazard of this drink and just stick w/ the champagne, sorbet and berries.

Can you believe I had to go back to work the next day after all of this patriotic gluttony? Next year I'll mark off my calendar as "Very busy with hot dog/potato salad/corn on the cob recovery."

3 comments:

Rock Mama said...

Haus Frausy dear, very happy to read that your days are swinging upward. Bad news sucks, and it's a relief to...well, get relief.

I'll take a big scoop of potato salad and two ears of corn, but please make my strawberry soda SANS tapioca, as recommended.

XOXOXOX

erik.ellestad said...

Yeah, well, the tapioca thing didn't really work out as well as I had hoped.

Sigh.

Seemed like a good idea; but you never know until you try.

Rock Mama said...

It's always good to hope, Chef!