Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Song of the Day

At work we all take turns picking the "Song of the Day." Today it was my turn! I picked "Wellsville" by The Embarrassment. Here's my blurb:

Once upon a time, when Midwestern indie rock nerds had a snowball's chance of being tagged as hipsters, there was a should-coulda-woulda been blogworthy band from Wichita, Kansas, called The Embarrassment. Their re-issue of early singles (recorded from 1979-1983) gives us all a second chance to not pass by the carefree bounce of "Wellsville."

You can listen to it here.

If there wasn't a character limit, I would have included my indie granny story about how (long ago) I met the lead singer for the Embarrassment (Bill Goffrier) when he was fronting the where-are-they-now band from Boston -- Big Dipper. My friend Kim Bitter & I had the pleasure of interviewing Big Dipper on our college radio program "Heads Gone Astray." Afterwards, we hung out and they asked us if we would drive them all to K-Mart to buy new razors! To this day hauling Big Dipper in my famous faux-wood paneled station wagon to wander the aisles at K-Mart remains one of my favorite college radio related memories.

Me, Kim Bitter and Big Dipper at K-Mart. Does it get any more rock and roll?

1 comment:

Kim Bitter said...

Ah, I keep "Wellsville" on my running playlist just because of that trip to K-Mart and Bill Goffrier's stories about his parents meeting in Kewaunee. Makes me smile every time.