Friday, March 09, 2007

Pony Up! and The Mountain Goats

We went to go see Pony Up! & The Mountain Goats at the Independent. The door guy asked me for my ID and I laughed. He said, "What's so funny?" and I said, "I'm old! I should be able to skate right through!" His response -- "I don't think so." The show was sold out, but when we got in we just went right up to the front of the stage and stood our ground. There was no pushing or shoving. Mountain Goats fans are nice and respectful people. They are MY PEOPLE! The opening band was this bunch of girls from Montreal -- Pony Up! They were super cute and had drastically improved on their musicianship since their last EP. The lead singer looked like a sassy Rory Gilmore -- maybe four years ago when the "Gilmore Girls" was still good. The Chef took this artsy picture below of Rory (ahem, Laura Wills) on the keyboards, but I also found this site which has non-blurry pictures of them all. I know you will agree with my super cute assessment.

Their set was great and didn't even give me time to complain about when the Mountain Goats were coming on. I was just reaching the cranky standing forever point when they came on stage with a full band, including special guest John Vanderslice. Usually I reach a point at a concert where I almost wish a band would stop so I can finally go home and get in bed, but this evening, I never reached it! I didn't want them to stop! However, I did have to poke the Chef for loudly singing along to "This Year" (one of our favorites). I can hear him sing that at home.

For the encore, Pony Up! came back out onstage and they all sang a rockin' electric version of Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town" which was a good match. There were tambourines and everyone was happy - onstage and in the audience.

There are a handful of bands that I will attempt to see every single time they come to town, and The Mountain Goats are one of them. Each show is unique and overflows with the manic energy of John Darnielle. I love it when he smiles his crazy smile and shakes his head as if he is possessed by the song he is singing, taking us all along with him.

No comments: