Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bake cookies and stay inside

During my lunch hour, I drove The Chef back to work to spare him from the MUNI bus. The Chef had just gotten two cavities filled. After the last sixteen years (!), I've noticed a pattern in the Chef's behavior -- whenever things aren't going well, he likes to make it worse. Thus, after putting off bothersome things, sometimes for YEARS, he likes to make appointments with the dentist and roofing contractors when life is particularly difficult. That way, he doesn't have to wonder about how many cavities he has (three) or if we really need a new roof (the contractor crawled up there last week and we do! Goodbye $$$.) So, The Chef has lots of appointments lately, and still one more cavity to be filled. There is drilling to look forward to and a great lack of money to commit to having things fixed.

On my way home, I decided to cheer myself up by stopping at the record store. Not just any record store, but Amoeba Records. I'm lucky because I live here and get to go there whenever I want to buy a record! I heart Amoeba.

My friend Derrick was working, so I had the good fortune to stand around with him in the aisles, distracting him from work by reminiscing about the Midwest and how nice the air smells there in October. Derek told me about growing up in Chicago, and how his family wanted him to be tougher but he just didn't swing that way. When he was a kid he wore an Elton John T-shirt and liked to stay inside and bake cookies with his mom. Derek says he grew up in "the ghetto" which (for some reason) makes the Elton John T-shirt, baking cookies and staying inside story even sweeter. It was a treat to hang out in the aisles at Amoeba and listen to him tell stories about his family, and his mom, who still lives in Chicago.

His new band is called Ultraset

I purchased new CDS from the Decemberists (cheap used copy!) and Portastatic's "Be Still Please." When Derrick and I were talking about EMO (the bad kind) he ran and got me a used copy of a Bright Eyes advance CD that was hidden in the back room (YAY!) Then I had to explain to him the difference between the good (Bright Eyes) and bad (Hawthorne Heights) emo. He also recommended two other used discs to me -- Brookville and El Perro Del Mar, so I immediately bought them because I know they'll be dreamy indie pop sweetness -- that's the kind of stuff that Mr. not-so-tough digs.

I also picked up a few CDs for The Chef, to counterbalance the cavities, but his birthday isn't until Sunday, so he'll have to wait.

No comments: