Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ubu Roi

The one panel I was not going to miss (aside from the one I was on) was titled "Disposable Content -- Has the availablity of affordable recording equipment and the permeation of the Internet devalued music?" The topic itself has been discussed often in my world of music geekery, but the reason I could NOT miss it was that the moderator was none other than David Thomas. David Thomas! The perpetual grump who is the founder of Pere Ubu. I like grumps. Grumps are my idols.

I took notes -- but it was one of the few times I wished I had a video camera with me. As it was, I found myself madly scribbling to jot down these King Grump quotes:

"Music has been reduced to a fashion accessory for teenage girls."

"Fuck the artist. Fuck the audience. Preserve the art!"

"Thom Yorke is still a cross-eyed whiny pimple-headed geek. I'm tired of him whining in my ear."

"Creative individuals have to take it upon themselves to know that they are being watched by the dead faces of history."

Now you owe it to yourself to go listen to "The Modern Dance." I can't promise that you will like it, but it's one of those magic records that changed my life.

3 comments:

oshareneko said...

I love this post!

oshareneko said...

I am going to refer to fairweather music fans as 'teenage girls' from now on.

Anonymous said...

DAVID THOMAS IS A GOLDEN GOD!