Saturday, October 06, 2007

Nick Lowe

This was right before an old fella ripped down the geezerish poster of (the still fabulous) Nick Lowe off the wall at Great American Music Hall. This fan guy behavior was witnessed by the aging Geek Girls Music Club (who felt like youngsters at this particular concert). Thanks to PVC who halted the rippage until this photo could be snapped.

When I was in high school, I convinced my parents to let me ride the Greyhound bus to Madison where I dragged my (silly) sister to Headliners (with fake ID entry) to see Nick Lowe perform. Even then, I was so obsessed that I waited to go backstage to get his autograph on a 7" single import. It was the start of my long history of meeting my favorite musicians and stuttering profound things to them like "I just love your music!"

What I still love about him -- Rockpile (pub rock!), "What's So Funny About Peace, Love & Understanding", "Cracking Up", "The Beast in Me" and a multitude of perfect pure pop for now people. Plus, he produced a few of my favorite records (The Damned! The Pretenders! Elvis Costello!) and mastered the style of boosting the vocals to be front and center in the mix -- loud, clear, and right in your ear. His show last night fit that same bill.

Thanks Nick, I just love your music.

No comments: