Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Insert Baby

This was the second year that we ordered a special Mardi Gras King Cake from Arizmendi Bakery. Except that last year (as it should be a surprise) the baby was baked inside the cake. I'm guessing that something bad must have happened involving someone choking on melted plastic or other hazardous injury, because this year we found the baby in a plastic bag on top of the King Cake with these instructions.

When the Chef wasn't looking, I tried to insert the baby by using the above helpful tips. However the baby was too big for just one underside gash in the cake so when I shoved it in, some frosting fell off the top and there was a suspicious bulge. I tried to cover it up, but there was not a way to then turn the cake so that we both wouldn't know where the baby was, creating an easy opportunity for me to pick the slice with the baby --- and then I would be QUEEN FOR THE DAY. But you know me, I immediately 'fessed up to the Chef and told him I knew where the baby was, so we just picked pieces without the baby and ate them. That makes us BOTH King and Queen for the day because we got to eat delicious steaming bowls of gumbo and eat King Cake. Double Mardi Gras royalty. The piece with the baby is still left -- come and get it Helen Mirren!

1 comment:

oshareneko said...

you live a magical life. :)