Wednesday, January 07, 2009

My Favorite Music of 2008

If anyone tells you that there isn't any good music these days, please give them a punch from me. These are just a few of my favorites from 2008.
Al Green "Lay It Down" (Blue Note)
*I played this CD for my mom and she thought I discovered Al Green.
Herman Dune "Next Year in Zion"
*French Scandahoovians? So sweet, the "safe place" lyric will make you weepy.
Dawn Landes "Fireproof" (Cooking Vinyl)
*you say Lucinda, I say Dawn Landes. Banjo alert!
The Dodos "Visitor" (French Kiss)
*local kids who tour with a giant marimba. Witnessed live at SXSW (thanks Scrabbel).
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds "Dig! Lazurus Dig!" (Anti)
*disclaimer, I've had a Nick Cave revival going on in my head for the last two years.
Kelly Stoltz "Circular Sounds" (Sub Pop)
* I saw Kelly sing a duet w/ his mom. Just add bubble machine.
Monade "Monstre Cosmic" (Too Pure)
* French! Stereolab! The perfect background music to ANYTHING.
Bon Iver "For Emma, Forever Ago" (Jagjaguwar)
*From Wisconsin, but the "wrote songs while living in cabin in the woods and eating venison" PR hype really cracks me up.
various "Calypsoul 70 - Caribbean Soul & Calypso Crossover 1960-1970" (Strut)
* just groovy.
Notwist "The Devil, You & Me" (Domino)
* Germans can sing blip hop melodies too
William Parker Quartet "Petit Oiseau" (Aum Fidelity)
* I always love it when the "out" jazz folk go "straight ahead".
Evangelicals "The Evening Descends" (Dead Oceans)
*cheery indie noise, nothing born-again about it.
Frightened Rabbit "The Midnight Organ Fight" (Fat Cat)
*disclaimer. Scotland!
2 Foot Yard "Borrowed Items" (Yard Work)
*disclaimer member Carla Kihlstedt played at our wedding as part of Tin Hat Trio
Ponytail "Ice Cream Spiritual" (We Are Free)
* Need some screaming? here it is!
Del the Funky Homosapien "Eleventh Hour" (Definitive Jux)
*old school hip-hop for old people. but young people like it too.
Son Lux "At War With Walls & Mazes" (Anticon)
* this has nothing to do with Son Volt.
David Byrne & Brian Eno "Everything That Happens Will Happen Today" (Opal)
* The Chef both downloaded this and then bought it on CD. This is his pick.
Goh Nakamura "Ulysses" (self-released)
*disclaimer, I am pals w/ Goh and his crew, including album art wizard DJ Big Cookie -- but I would love this album regardless.
Port O'Brien "All We Could Do Was Sing"
*Indie folk! Pleasant!
Mochipet "Microphonepet" (Daly City Records)
* disclaimer, I met David Wang and admire his punk rock attitude. However Mochipet is NOT punk rock. But he wears a dragon costume when he DJs which is totally punk rock
Flight of the Conchords s/t (Sub Pop)
* This is a comedy CD, and I like to laugh.
Minisnap "Bounce Around" (Pocket)
* NEW ZEALAND alert and former member of THE BATs.
Justin Townes Earle "The Good Life" (Bloodshot)
* disclaimer, I'm a Steve Earle fan and cynical, but son Justin Townes is his own real deal.
TV on the Radio "Golden Age (Universal)
* I usually think this band is over hyped, but this CD lives up to it.
King Khan & the Shrines "Supreme Genius" (Vice)
* Garage rock meets Little Richard!
Death Vessel "Nothing is Precious Enough for Us" (Sub Pop)
* Their name screams heavy metal, but that would be untrue.
Thao w/ the Get Down Stay Down "We Brave Bee Stings and All" (Kill Rock Stars)
* disclaimer, I was on a plane from NYC with Thao and overhead her conversation where she was explained to the woman next to her that she was in a band. I thought. wow! It's thao!

Plus, I'm still listening to and tracking down the "Eccentric Soul" series CDs. Each one is a winner, no matter the year.

3 comments:

SON LUX said...

thank you, haus frau! - SL

Anonymous said...

i heart thao, too!
& i know just what you mean about 2009. i'm exhausted!

HausFrau said...

on no Son Lux, thank you! ; )