Sunday, December 09, 2007

Flight Delay -- Please Translate

While I'm used to weather delays while travelling (see previous tales of woe) it's worse when you don't understand the airport loud speaker alerts. First, you notice the angry expressions and the eye rolling, and then you turn to the German person next to you and beg, "Excuse me, what are they saying?" Lucky for me, it seems that everyone in Germany speaks English. In this clumsy manner, I discovered my flight to Cologne had been delayed, and then cancelled. After much line standing and nearly stomping to British Airways to buy a one one ticket to London, I was rescheduled on a flight to Munich (Munchen!) where we were bussed and unloaded onto a plane on a tarmac. Wait wait wait waiting, and then another message in German and passengers erupting in groans of dismay with me pleading, "um, what are they saying?"

We had been rushed out there only to wait another two hours before take off.

The German flight attendants passed out chocolate Santas to placate us -- as if they had an emergency box stored just waiting for to appease an angry mob. We finally made it to London but that emergency choco santa was long gone.

No comments: